Selina Kyle (セリーナ・カイル, Serīna Kairu), also infamously known as "Catwoman" (キャットウーマン, Kyattoūman), is both a fictional character and deuteragonist of the Marvelous DC series created by C. B. Cebulski and Jim Lee.
Preferring to grow up on the mean and violent streets of Gotham City instead of her broken home, she used her stealth, cunning, martial art skills, and sex appeal to steal numerous treasures and objects of value as the cat burglar.
While on the opposite side of the law, Batman still sees the good in her due to her principled code of ethics with the pair becoming close allies at times. Although she began as an amoral burglar, she has since somewhat reformed and begun protecting the less fortunate.
"This place feels like we're already in Hell. I love it."
- —Catwoman to Batman.
- 1 Appearance & Biography
- 2 Background
- 3 Personality
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Abilities and Powers
- 6 History
- 7 Synopsis
- 8 Battles
- 9 Events
- 10 Anime and Manga Differences
- 11 Translation and Dub Issues
- 12 Theme songs
- 13 Merchandise
- 14 See also
- 15 Etymology
- 16 External links
- 17 Notes & Trivia
Appearance & Biography
- Voice Actor: Grey DeLisle (English), Ayumi Fujimura (Japanese), Not Known (Arabic), Not Known (Basque), Not Known (Brazilian), Not Known (Cantonese), Not Known (Catalan), Not Known (Chinese), Not Known (Croatian), Not Known (Danish), Not Known (Dutch), Not Known (Finnish), Not Known (Filipino), Not Known (French), Not Known (Galician), Not Known (German), Not Known (Greek), Not Known (Hebrew), Not Known (Hong Kong), Not Known (Hungarian), Not Known (Indonesian), Not Known (Italian), Not Known (Korean), Not Known (Mandarin), Not Known (Norwegian), Not Known (Polish), Not Known (Portuguese), Not Known (Romanian), Not Known (Russian), Not Known (Serbian), Not Known (Spanish), Not Known (Swedish), Not Known (Tagalog), Not Known (Thai), Not Known (Valencian), Not Known (Ukrainian), Not Known (Brazilian Portuguese), Not Known (Canadian French), Not Known (European Spanish), Not Known (European Portuguese), Not Known (Latin American Spanish), Not Known (Latin Spanish), Not Known (Spain-Spanish)
As Selina Kyle
Catwoman wears a black, skintight catsuit with a cat-like helmet that is accompanied with a pair of spy goggles above her eyes with red lenses which are always covering her eyes. When covering her eyes, these goggles provide Catwoman with the Thief Vision ability. Her hair is somewhat longer and it is a mixture of black and a lighter shade of brown. She gains scars run on her left cheek and right eyebrow following the explosion of her home in Arkham City.
There is also a choker with a cat pendant attached to the helmet. Catwoman's suit includes a zipper that shows her cleavage and sports a much smaller collar on the top back. She also wears black gloves with cat claws and black high-heeled boots. She seems to have a different cat pin on her cat suit. Her whip is wrapped around her waist, in the kind of way of a cat's tail.
- Hair Color: Black
- Skin Color: Not Known
- Eye Color: Green
- Age: Not Known
- Birthday: Not Known
- Height: 5'7"
- Weight: 125 lbs. (57 kg)
- Trained gymnast and athlete.
- Expert hand-to-hand comabatant.
- Highly skilled with her specialized whip , a cat-o'-nine-tails.
- Capable of astonishing stealth.
- Obsessed with (and adept at) stealing famous and well-protected items.
- Drawn to cat motifs.
Catwoman is a woman who is defined by pride and temptation. Being a high-profile burglar, she is skilled in espionage, so she is able to keep herself from being known. She also has a high interest for jewelry.
In most of the events, Catwoman is displayed as the embodiment of attraction and a pinnacle of dominating superiority over men (on some notes). She isn't afraid to make suggestive comments and frequently flirts with Batman on numerous occasions. She also seems to be aware of her appearance and sometimes makes use of it.
Unlike most of the villains of, specifically inmates of the asylum, Catwoman isn't considered to be a psychopath. She seems to hold little regard in wanting to kill, let alone wanting to care for another life, but this doesn't mean she is without morality. Under certain situations, Catwoman can, yet sometimes reluctantly, aides Batman in his endeavors, a good example being when he was downed by an attack from the TYGER Guards and Catwoman dropped the stolen loot after she learned that if she left Batman and something would happen to him, she would never forgive herself. During her interview with Prof. Hugo Strange, she had planned on leaving the interview until Strange said that one of the TYGER Guards was holding her friend, Holly, at gunpoint, forcing Catwoman to comply for the sake of her friend's life. The only time where she held immorality was during the Arkham Origins Incident, but this was only because she was hired by an unnamed agency.
She is also very stubborn. During the Arkham City Incident, Joker almost shot Catwoman in the head with a remote controlled sniper rifle until Batman spotted the targeting laser and moved her away, afterwards he tried to convince her to leave the city for it wasn't safe. In response, she said, "Nine lives, remember?" Before grabbing her whip and leaving the courthouse. This also makes her very daring to take risks, showing signs of fearlessness.
Catwoman also stands between the boundaries of an occasional hero and rare villain. Given her appellation as an anti-hero, Catwoman only plays the role of a hero whenever necessary and doesn't show much of a villainous ego.
- Holly Robinson (adopted)
- Falcone Crime Family
- Carmine Falcone
- Joker's Thugs
- Bud and Lou
- Harley Quinn
- Victor Zsasz
- Mad Hatter
- Killer Moth
- Maxie Zeus
- Killer Croc
- False Facers
- Black Mask
- Calendar Man
Abilities and Powers
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Catwoman can hold her own with Gotham's thugs, being able to render them unconscious just as well as Batman can.
- Expert Thievery: Capable of breaking in to practically anywhere, Catwoman is able to crack security codes and steal from display cases without setting off alarms.
- Acrobatics: Selina trained herself in gymnastics and the like for years to hone her abilities. She is capable of maintaining her balance on ever the thinnest object, such as a guardrail.
- Stealth: Catwoman is skilled in hiding, using her dark suit to her advantage. The claws on her suit and the toes of her shoes allow her to crawl on ceilings with grates on them.
- Kleptomania: Catwoman has a strong impulse to steal things.
- X-Ray Goggles: Also called Thief Vison, Catwoman's goggles can shore her where people are and where objects of interest are as well. Unlike the Detective Mode used by Batman, her goggles cannot discern armed people from unarmed ones.
- Whip: Catwoman carries her multi-purpose whip that she can confuse, disarm, and trip enemies with. She can also climb vantage points with the whip as well.
- Claws: Selina Kyle uses gloves with built-in claws.
- Bolas : Used for tripping up enemies and cause noise far away to distract targets.
- Caltrops: Catwoman uses a custom handheld ball known as a caltrop. When the caltrop hits the floor, it breaks apart into many jack like spikes. If a henchman steps in the trap, they will fall to the floor in pain.
Plot in the Series
Anime and Manga Differences
Translation and Dub Issues
Notes & Trivia
- Catwoman first appeared in Batman #1 (1940).
- While she has many bolt-holes and stash-houses, Selina kept her most personal "trophies" in the basement of the building where her mother grew up. Amongst these keepsakes was her childhood diary, some toys, pictures of her family, five thousand dollars in emergency cash and the golden doll house of the Egyptian Queen Anunaki.
- Krypto, the super-powered canine companion to Superman, has taken a liking to Catwoman, much to her immense displeasure.
- The motto Selina lives by "Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never." was taught to her by her mentor in the traveling carnival before his death.
- Selina and Bruce Wayne first encountered each other when Wayne attempted to start his vigilante career in East End but, after attacking a pimp, he was attacked by various prostitutes (one of whom was Holly). Selina attacked Bruce for hitting Holly but was quickly defeated by the superior trained rookie vigilante.
- Selina has a habit of sheltering stray cats, seeing in them kindred spirits from her own time on the streets.
- Catwoman has a unique Martial Arts style in legends and can somewhat confuse a player who uses the normal Martial Art fighting style.
- Catwoman is a big fan of jazz music. Amongst her music collection is John Coltrane and Don Cherry.
- Catwoman has a cat named Isis.