Johann Schmidt (ヨハン・シュミット, Yohan Shumitto), also known as "Red Skull" (レッド・スカル, Reddo Sukaru), is both the fictional character and antagonist of the Marvelous DC's Justice Avengers series created by Gardner Fox and Jack Kirby.
He was a Nazi general officer and confidant of Adolf Hitler. He is also the the arch-nemesis of Captain America of the Justice Avengers and his partner Bucky, second to Baron Zemo and one of the feared commanders of HYDRA during World War II.
"Picture an army of mythological beasts, unleashed upon the battlefield. The Allies won't even comprehend the forces that are destroying them."
- —Red Skull.
- 1 Appearance & Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Abilities and Powers
- 5 History
- 6 Synopsis
- 7 Battles
- 8 Events
- 9 Anime and Manga Differences
- 10 Translation and Dub Issues
- 11 Theme songs
- 12 Merchandise
- 13 See also
- 14 Etymology
- 15 External links
- 16 Notes & Trivia
Appearance & Biography
- Voice actor: Liam O'Brien (English), Not Known (Japanese), Not Known (Arabic), Not Known (Basque), Not Known (Brazilian), Not Known (Cantonese), Not Known (Catalan), Not Known (Chinese), Not Known (Croatian), Not Known (Danish), Not Known (Dutch), Not Known (Finnish), Not Known (Filipino), Not Known (French), Not Known (Galician), Not Known (German), Not Known (Greek), Not Known (Hebrew), Not Known (Hong Kong), Not Known (Hungarian), Not Known (Indonesian), Not Known (Italian), Not Known (Korean), Not Known (Mandarin), Not Known (Norwegian), Not Known (Polish), Not Known (Portuguese), Not Known (Romanian), Not Known (Russian), Not Known (Serbian), Not Known (Spanish), Not Known (Swedish), Not Known (Tagalog), Not Known (Thai), Not Known (Valencian), Not Known (Ukrainian), Not Known (Brazilian Portuguese), Not Known (Canadian French), Not Known (European Spanish), Not Known (European Portuguese), Not Known (Latin American Spanish), Not Known (Latin Spanish), Not Known (Spain-Spanish)
As Johann Schmidt
As Red Skul
- Hair Color: N/A (Formerly Brown)
- Skin Color: Red (Head)
- Eye Color: Blue
- Age: Not Known
- Birthday: Not Known
- Height: Not Known
- Weight: Not Known
- Cabal Light
Abilities and Powers
- Master strategist: At the time of the WWII era, Red Skull had an army on his command and planned strategies to conquer the world.
- Skilled hand-to-hand combatant:
- Skilled marksman:
- Biological Immortality Gained Through Biological Enhancements:
- Artificially-Increased Strength, Speed, Intelligence, Stamina & Healing Factor:
- Pistols: Red Skull wields a German Broomhandle Mauser pistol.
World War II
The HYDRA Super Soldier
"Even now, Cap is leading the charge against the dreaded Red Skull and his HYDRA forces."
- —Radio broadcast.
Not much is known about Johan Schmidt's youth. It is known however, that at some point in his life, he joined the Nazis, and became a high-ranking officer of HYDRA. He served as second in command to Baron Zemo, the leader of HYDRA. He was injected with the imperfect version of the Super Soldier Serum, becoming the first and only Super Soldier of HYDRA. The imperfected serum increased his strength, but it also disfigured his face, and he became known as the Red Skull.
Soon, he led the German armies, with the HYDRA forces leading all attacks, into conquering much of the continental Europe. However, the Allies, led by Captain America, counterattacked and liberated much of the territory under German occupation.
The Bifrost Bridge
"You may come out now, Captain. I know you're here. You have arrived just in time to witness history!"
- —Red Skull to Captain America.
In 1943, Red Skull was a commander of HYDRA fortress in Norway. He began to develop multiple advanced creations, the primary focus of research being Norse mythology. When Captain America and the Howling Commandos attacked his fortress, Red Skull activated a teleporter machine which tapped into the Bifrost Bridge, transporting multiple monsters from the other realms into Midgard. He intended to form an army of legendary beasts and creatures so he could send them against the Allies and win the war.
"I will have my revenge. On you, and the world!"
- —Red Skull to Captain America.
However, Red Skull's plan was stopped by Captain America and Bucky who damaged his machine, starting a fire in the fortress. He attempted to escape with his advanced rocket plane but was followed by Captain America and Bucky. As Captain America reached him, he set his transport to self-destruct and flew away in an ejector seat. Though he failed to destroy Captain America, his greatest enemy ended up frozen in ice.
"Captain America has abandoned you, little one. You have a new teacher now."
- —Red Skull to Bucky.
Immediately after the destruction of the plane, Red Skull and his men found Bucky in the water and took him to one of the secret HYDRA bases. The HYDRA doctors and technicians gave Bucky a new, cybernetic arm to replace the one which he lost during the explosion of Red Skull's plane. He brainwashed Bucky and turned him into his loyal henchman. He personally trained him, and Bucky became Red Skull's best assassin. The brainwashed Bucky became known as the Winter Soldier.
Plot in the Series
Anime and Manga Differences
Translation and Dub Issues
Notes & Trivia
- Red Skull first appeared in Captain America Comics #7 in October of 1941.