Edward "Eddie" Nashton (エドワード・"エディ"・ナッシュトン, Edowādo "Edi" Nashuton), also known as "Riddler" (リドラー, Ridorā), is fictional character and antagonist of the Marvelous DC's Justice Avengers series created by Gardner Fox and Jack Kirby.
Edward Nygma (エドワード・ニグマ, Edowādo Niguma), was a detective and forensic scientist working at the GCPD's Cybercrimes division in Gotham City. But he was mentally driven by a compulsive obsession for attention and desire to prove his intellect to the world.
He is a deranged genius who feels a psychological compulsion to demonstrate his intellectual superiority, and constructed elaborate crimes while delivering clues daring law enforcement to catch him. He mostly uses riddles and puzzles to commit his crimes.
Creating complex conundrums and death traps, Eddie prides himself in watching his helpless victims fail to find solutions to his puzzles and meet with grim fates as he gloats over his superior intellect. Batman is the one with intellects and abilities to outsmart him.
"Are you ready for some more? Explore! Find my challenges. And when you fail to solve them and lie blubbering like an ignorant child on the floor, you will know that Riddler is better than you."
- —Riddler, to Batman.
- 1 Appearance & Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Relationships
- 4 Abilities and Powers
- 5 History
- 6 Synopsis
- 7 Battles
- 8 Events
- 9 Anime and Manga Differences
- 10 Translation and Dub Issues
- 11 Theme songs
- 12 Merchandise
- 13 See also
- 14 Etymology
- 15 External links
- 16 Notes & Trivia
Appearance & Biography
- Voice actor: Wally Wingert (English), Hiroshi Iwasaki (Japanese), Not Known (Arabic), Not Known (Basque), Not Known (Brazilian), Not Known (Cantonese), Not Known (Catalan), Not Known (Chinese), Not Known (Croatian), Not Known (Danish), Not Known (Dutch), Not Known (Finnish), Not Known (Filipino), Not Known (French), Not Known (Galician), Not Known (German), Not Known (Greek), Not Known (Hebrew), Not Known (Hong Kong), Not Known (Hungarian), Not Known (Indonesian), Not Known (Italian), Not Known (Korean), Not Known (Mandarin), Not Known (Norwegian), Not Known (Polish), Not Known (Portuguese), Not Known (Romanian), Not Known (Russian), Not Known (Serbian), Not Known (Spanish), Not Known (Swedish), Not Known (Tagalog), Not Known (Thai), Not Known (Valencian), Not Known (Ukrainian), Not Known (Brazilian Portuguese), Not Known (Canadian French), Not Known (European Spanish), Not Known (European Portuguese), Not Known (Latin American Spanish), Not Known (Latin Spanish), Not Known (Spain-Spanish)
With an obsessive need for attention, Edward Nygma is determined to be the most outlandish of Gotham City's criminals, concocting elaborate series of clues and riddles around his crimes. Batman has proven a worthy opponent, capable of deducing the Riddler's plans, but Eddie is dedicated to creating a mystery the Dark Knight will not be able to solve in time.
As Eddie Nygma
- Hair Color: Brown
- Skin Color: Not Known
- Eye Color: Blue
- Age: Not Known
- Birthday: Not Known
- Height: 6' 1"
- Weight: 183 lbs. (83 kg)
- Genius intellect.
- Driven by a need to test his wits against law enforcement by leaving clues to his planned crimes.
- Compulsive need for attention.
- Amanda Waller
- Justice Avengers
- Wayne Enterprises
- Fred Stickley
- Teen Titans
Abilities and Powers
- Enhanced Intellect
- Superhuman Reflexes:
- Criminology: A former police forensics officer, Ed is skilled in the field. He was even briefly the medical examiner at GCPD.
- Genius Level Intellect: Riddler is was a child prodigy and genius. As his name suggests, he is an expert at riddles.
- Eidetic Memory: Riddler claims to remember everything, even the things he'd rather not remember.
- Tactical Analysis: Riddler constantly has a plan to test his enemies like Chuck Gorman and Batman.
- Gifted Inventor: Riddler can built his challenges and death traps without much trouble, so long as he has the right places to set them up and the materials.
- Mechanical Aptitude: Riddler has shown a lot of mechanical knowledge. At one point in his career, he single-handedly redesigned Chuck Gormon's house into a riddle-themed death trap.
- Robotic Engineering: Riddler built himself a robot army.
- Computer Operation:
- Computer Hacking: Riddler can hack into radio frequencies, even Batman's. He can even keep track of Detective Mode.
- Electrical Engineering:
- Adept Thief: Edward states that, before he became Enigma or Riddler, he was a thief and master safe cracker. The thrill of solving the riddle of a safe was absolutely exciting to Edward.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic):
- Stick Fighting: Edward was able to hurt Batman once in their fight.
- Mental Illness: Riddler suffers from fanatic narcissism, egocentrism and megalomania crossed with severe obsessive compulsion. Hence why he thinks he's the perfect being and is easily to figure out.
- Instability: Riddler doesn't believe he suffers from a mental illness, ironically; Batman had the unintentional effect of making Riddler's mind state considerably more volatile and worse over the years, ultimately leaving him self-convinced even a rigged challenge was fair.
- Obsession: Riddler is obsessed with riddles and puzzles.
- Riddler's Customized Cane: Riddler's question mark cane not only is rigged with a detonator but it has a sharp blade on the top that Riddler uses to fight with.
- Mind Control:
- Explosives: Riddler used all manner of explosives in his schemes, from time bombs to grenades; some of his riddles were even delivered through bombs.
- Explosive Graffiti:
- Firearms: Riddler used ordinary guns as both weapons and as signal devices.
Plot in the Series
Anime and Manga Differences
Translation and Dub Issues
Notes & Trivia
- Riddler first appeared in Detective Comics #140 (October 1948).
- Riddler sees himself as far superior to most of the other villains and believes that they lack "true commitment".
- A relatively poor fighter, Riddler instead relies on his henchwomen, Query and Echo, to do the physical work.
- Several Gotham criminals have their own code words that they use when they call the GCPD to distinguish themselves from prank phone calls. The Riddler chose "Oedipus" as his code word (referring to when Oedipus solved the riddle of the Sphinx). His code word for contacting the Batman is "The Hanging Man" (referring to the game Hangman).
- Riddler's online screen name is "Wizard101".