Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth (アルフレッド・タデウス・クレイン・ペニーワース, Arufureddo Tadeusu Kurein Penīwāsu), is both a fictional character and tetartagonist of the Marvelous DC's Justice Avengers series created by Gardner Fox and Jack Kirby.
He is Bruce Wayne's loyal butler, legal guardian, and confidant who assists his employer in his duties, both as Bruce Wayne and as Batman. He had previously worked for Bruce's parents, Thomas and Martha Wayne, until their deaths at the hands of a mugger.
Alfred raised their young son and reluctantly aided him in his quests. Alfred showed that he cared for Bruce as his own son, one sign of this love being Batman's ally. Alfred stayed with his adopted son without hesitation and continued to aid him in his war.
His many skills ranged from cooking to medicine - made him one of Batman's staunchest allies, along with a formal demeanor that have grounded Batman and deflected any of those who might otherwise begin to suspect the Dark Knight's true identity.
"Batman must save Gotham. I'm sorry, but deep down, you know I'm right."
- —Alfred Pennyworth, to Batman.
- 1 Appearance & Biography
- 2 Background
- 3 Personality
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Abilities and Powers
- 6 History
- 7 Synopsis
- 8 Battles
- 9 Events
- 10 Early Versions
- 11 Anime and Manga Differences
- 12 Translation and Dub Issues
- 13 Theme songs
- 14 Other Appearances
- 15 See also
- 16 Etymology
- 17 External links
- 18 Notes & Trivia
Appearance & Biography
- Voice actor: Martin Jarvis (English), Minoru Inaba (Japanese), Not Known (Arabic), Not Known (Basque), Not Known (Brazilian), Not Known (Cantonese), Not Known (Catalan), Not Known (Chinese), Not Known (Croatian), Not Known (Danish), Not Known (Dutch), Not Known (Finnish), Not Known (Filipino), Not Known (French), Not Known (Galician), Not Known (German), Not Known (Greek), Not Known (Hebrew), Not Known (Hong Kong), Not Known (Hungarian), Not Known (Indonesian), Not Known (Italian), Not Known (Korean), Not Known (Mandarin), Not Known (Norwegian), Not Known (Polish), Not Known (Portuguese), Not Known (Romanian), Not Known (Russian), Not Known (Serbian), Not Known (Spanish), Not Known (Swedish), Not Known (Tagalog), Not Known (Thai), Not Known (Valencian), Not Known (Ukrainian), Not Known (Brazilian Portuguese), Not Known (Canadian French), Not Known (European Spanish), Not Known (European Portuguese), Not Known (Latin American Spanish), Not Known (Latin Spanish), Not Known (Spain-Spanish)
Alfred Pennyworth, after a varied career, was employed as the Wayne family's butler when Bruce Wayne's parents were killed. Alfred raised the young orphan and reluctantly aided him in his quest to become the Batman. His many skills - ranging from cooking to medicine - make him Batman's staunchest ally, along with a formal demeanor that grounds the Dark Knight and deflects those who might otherwise suspect Bruce Wayne's true identity.
Alfred is a slim Caucasian male, with gray hair and a mustache. He typically wears a three-piece suit, a black jacket, a maroon vest, and a white long-sleeved shirt with a black tie.
- Hair Color: Gray (formerly Black)
- Skin Color: Not Known
- Eye Color: Blue
- Age: Not Known
- Birthday: Not Known
- Height: 6' 0"
- Weight: 160 lbs. (73 kg)
- Skilled actor.
- Trained in emergency medical techniques.
- Proficiency with mechanical and computer systems.
- Expert in domestic sciences.
- Unflappable manner.
- Unlike Batman, Alfred is willing to wield firearms in times of crisis.
After Thomas and Martha Wayne were murdered, Alfred did not act as a father toward Bruce, feeling it was not his place, and maintained the distance of a proper English butler. It has been one of his biggest regrets, and his behavior towards Dick is vastly different because of it.
- Bat Family
- Wayne Enterprises
- Thomas Wayne - Employer; deceased.
- Martha Wayne - Employer; deceased.
- Lucius Fox - Friend.
- Bob Zellerbach - Friend and co-worker
- Regina Zellerbach - Friend and co-worker
- Rachel Dawes - Friend; deceased.
- James Gordon - Guest.
- Carrie Kelley - Guest and ally.
- Lois Lane - Ally.
- Justice Avengers - Guests and allies.
- Teen Titans - Guests.
- Mary Pennyworth (mother)
- Arthur Pennyworth (father, deceased)
- Robin/Arkham Knight/Red Hood - Former friend and charge.
- Samantha Vanaver - Guest; deceased.
- Talon - Intruder and enemy; deceased.
Abilities and Powers
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): As a former soldier, Alfred is well adept in hand-to-hand combat. His fighting skills have allowed him to defeat trained assassins, and large opponents.
- Martial Arts: Because he was once a spy, Alfred has had intense training and occasionally practices fighting with Batman.
- Medicine: A former field medic, He takes care of Bruce Wayne's injuries.
- Tactical Analysis:
- Computer Operation:
- Mechanical Aptitude: Alfred is capable of doing minor repairs to the Batmobile.
- Firearms: Alfred uses both shotguns and revolvers.
Alfred has been the Wayne Family butler all of Bruce's life, and had helped his master establish his superhero career from the beginning. In addition he was Bruce's legal guardian following the deaths of his parents.
Following the murders of the the Wayne Family, Alfred was named Bruce's legal guardian in the will left by Thomas and Martha, however, social services combated the will feeling that Bruce should not be raised by a servant. However, Bruce managed to remain in Alfred's care by, despite his young age, bribing the social service agent into allowing Alfred to raise him.
Plot in the Series
Anime and Manga Differences
Translation and Dub Issues
- Alfred Pennyworth Wikipedia
- Alfred Pennyworth DC Database
- Alfred Pennyworth Batman Wiki
- Alfred Pennyworth Heroes Wiki
- Alfred Pennyworth League of Comic Geeks
Notes & Trivia
- Alfred Pennyworth first appeared in Batman #16 (April 1943).
- Alfred Pennyworth is a staple of Batman's supporting cast. He is also one of the few characters who knows that Bruce is Batman.